Re: RARA-AVIS: Bangkok Ouch

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 25 Oct 2007

Having spent time in Thailand, I have to say that I whole-heartedly agreed with the following:

Michiko Kakutani, writing in The New York Times (about BANGKOK 8), bridled at the book's "grotesque, voyeuristic scenes" and found the female characters not "remotely credible."

(I fully realize that to many of the members of this list, describing a book's scenes as "grotesque,"and "voyeuristic" is NOT a disincentive! ;)

Furthermore, I was unsurprised by the author's revelation that Burdett was working-class English with a chip on his shoulder about it. That really came out in BANGKOK 8, and I knew he was talking about England and not about Thailand in many of his bitter asides about the rigidity of "Thai" society.

And that ending he tacked on (and it was an obvious tack-on) to the first book. Beyond laughable. I was finished with Burdett long before I finished the book.

Shame, really, because I found the first three chapters to be dynamite.

Your Mileage May Vary-

Brian