RARA-AVIS: Re: Vigilante Killing

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2007

Ron Clinton wrote: Some might say Brian Garfield set the standard with his DEATH WISH and DEATH SENTENCE (sequel). I haven't read either (though I do like his work), but certainly the prominence of the films w/ Charles Bronson helped established them as such.

As I recall, Garfield was very, very upset that the movie was pro-vigilante, while his book was anti-vigilante; that is, the Charles Bronson character was destroyed by his unlawful actions. Qualifying it for noir, I suppose.

Dick Lochte