Re: RARA-AVIS: The moral implication of killing

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2007

First, to me, this discussion pertains to ***my fiction*** so it's fiction relevant to me. Second, without the reality, the fiction can't occur and the best fiction, as we all know, is the fiction that most powerfully injects the facts of reality into the mind of the reader. If the whole list gets bogged down in loosely related topics, I agree that would undermine the purpose. But this is one topic interesting to a few of us. There are several other conversations going on. Please allow us to finish our thoughts on this topic. We will move on. I do find it a little troubling that some people profoundly attracted to the grittiest aspects of crime fiction are put off by discussions about the elements of life that this fiction is actually about. It is only by studying these elements of life that new and innovative crime fiction can evolve. It is not just for his dialog that Elmore Leonard is noted at the best writer living for this type of fiction. It is because he understands and relates who and what criminals are, and their use of the loopholes that exist in the laws that try to restrain them. If he didn't take that extra push for the reality of the situation, he'd just be another crime writer with snappy dialog and fake polts.

Patrick King