RARA-AVIS: Re: The moral implication of killing

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2007

Ed,

Re your question below:

"Isn't Frederick Forsyth's DAY OF THE JACKAL about French assassins?"

Strictly speaking, it's about an ENGLISH assassin who's hired by French terrorists.

Well, strictly speaking, I'm not sure you could call them terrorists, since they're aiming their violence at the specific target rather than at innocent people who have nothing really to do with the target, but that's an existential bone I won't pick here.

Point is, the hit man who's aiming to murder De Gaulle, and from whose POV we experience a good chunk of the novel, is a Brit who's been hired to a job of work, not a Frenchman moved my patriotic impulses, however arguably misguided.

As for making the Jackal sympathetic, it never occurred to me that Forsyth was trying to do that. Personally, I was rooting for the cop, Claude Lebel
(the other POV character), who was assigned to nail him.

JIM DOHERTY