Re: RARA-AVIS: The moral implication of killing

From: e_lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>
> "Maybe the moral implications of killing can be discussed in
Lawrence
> Block's Keller hit man series during the Block-themed month. I
haven't
> read the Keller books, but I did recently enjoy reading Such Men
Are
> Dangerous. I wonder if it was warm-up act to his writing the Keller
> books."
>
> Ed, have you read either of Block's other two "Paul Kavanagh"
books?
> They all deal with killers. The third, Not Coming Home to You, is
> fictionalization of the Charlie Starkweather/Caril Fugate
killings. But
> the second, The Triumph of Evil, is specifically about an assassin.
> It's a far darker take on a paid killer than the Heller books. In
some
> ways it reminded me of Donald Hamilton's In the Line of Fire. In
fact,
> there have been a whole slew of hit man books, including Thomas
Perry's
> two Butcher's Boy books and Loren Estleman's Macklin trilogy that
grew a
> fourth.
>
> There are plenty of noir/hardboiled books about dealing out death,
from
> the above hit men to the revenge novels we recently listed. There
are
> books of killings sanctioned by the government, both by spies and
> executioners.
>
> And I'll bet there are quite a few novels that directly engage
death
> row, but I can't think of any (except maybe Front Page, didn't it
> involve reporters trying to clear someone about to be executed?).

I haven't read Block's Heller series, Mark, or the follow-ups to Block's other two "Paul Kavanagh" books. I did just finish reading Kevin Wignall's latest, WHO IS CONRAD HIRST, about a hit man who struggles to go straight and live a "normal" life. I'll check into the Thomas Perry, Donald Hamilton, and Loren Estleman entries. Isn't Frederick Forsyth's DAY OF THE JACKAL about French assassins? I look for how well the author can elicit reader sympathy/empathy for his hit man protagonist (as Wignall tries to do), aside from the novel's entertainment value. I'd bet Block can do that.

Ed