RE: RARA-AVIS: WILDERNESS by Robert B. Parker

From: Brandt ( bldodson@adelphia.net)
Date: 23 Oct 2007

I've read it, although it's been 10 years or more. Yes, I agree, especially with you comparison to some of the elements of Deliverance. Much different than his Spenser novels, although I don't believe it did very well.

Parker had some initial problems developing a readership outside of Spenser. His stand alone, All Our Yesterdays, didn't do well at all and neither did Three Weeks in Spring (a book about his wife's battle with breast cancer). In fact, until he began his Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone series, ONLY his Spenser work has done well. The possible exception would be a non-fiction work he did on weightlifting. I believe it hit the mark, although it's now out of print.

Brandt

www.brandtdodson.com

  _____

From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of killerjoe27 Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 11:04 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: WILDERNESS by Robert B. Parker

Just wondering if anybody here has read Robert B. Parker's WILDERNESS.

I read it a couple of weeks ago and got a real kick out of it. It's nothing at all like RBP's detective fiction, though I found it every bit as readable and exciting as the best of the Spenser novels. Without giving too much away, I'd describe it as a combination of Elmore Leonard's 52-PICKUP and the movies "Deliverance" and "Straw Dogs", if that can be imagined.

Let me know if you've read it, I'd love to get some feedback..