Re: RARA-AVIS: Bouchercon 2007 Noir Panel

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 23 Oct 2007

Vicki wrote:

"Also, I said that noir is becoming a blending of genres, for example Duane Swierzinski's and Jonathan Lethem's blendings of noir and science fiction, which are fantastic. I welcome these new types."

While those are certainly good examples of the blend, is it really anything new? We've talked often about how pulpsters like, say, Woolrich worked in different genres, but often had a noir cast no matter the genre. And in the archives are lists or noir wesyterns, noir sci fi, etc. At various times, hasn't noir been combined with horror
(Falling Angel), sci fi (the cyberpunks, especially John Shirley and KW Jeter), etc?

Mark