RARA-AVIS: Robbe-Grillet

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 23 Oct 2007

Robbe-Grillet (author whose work I have yet to read, but you guys have intrigued me) directed some films on his own right, has anyone here seen any of them? They are, or so I hear, quite crime-related. I remember my dad saying they were a bit weird, but that could be a recommendation.

One could open a debate on whether LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD is noir: it's black and white, it uses flashbacks, a voice-over narration and the general theme seems to be amnesia. And there's also a mysterious dame (Delphine Seyrig). And a con-man and some shooting, too! (The film was written by Robbe-Grillet, in case someone doesn't know.)

Juri