Re: RARA-AVIS: Back to Jealousy

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 22 Oct 2007

First of all, I'm rubber, you're glue . . .

As for the real subject at hand, It's been a long, long time since I've read Jealousy. I think it was my second by him (after The Eraser). I had never read anything like it. The empty hole where the narrator should have been really blew me away (and, young and naive as I was, I felt very proud for figuring it out). I loved the subtle shifts in the story, too, how the narrative became increasingly unreliable, so the reader becomes more and more skeptical of the affair even as the narrator becomes more insistent and specific about it.

In fact, I thought it was everything Heller's Something Happened
(nothing happened!) was supposed to have been, how it danced around a topic a narrator didn't want to face. Irvine Welsh's Maribou Stork Nightmare worked the same kind of avoidance as a coma victim's mind tries not to face what put him into the coma.

Mark

ps. and yes, I am better than you.