RARA-AVIS: Chinatown and Devil's Tail

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2007

Where I was working in Atlanta was right across from a Borders bookstore, so I hung out there a couple days during my lunch break. I saw a couple newer books that looked on-topic. One was The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. The cover picture was plainly pulp-oriented, and the back pointedly mentioned
"genre." Can't remember the author. Some of the old pulp authors are characters in the book. I remember L. Ron Hubbard being mentioned. It might be good, but the smell of pastiche was strong.

Another was Chasing the Devil's Tail by a fellow named Fulmer. I read a couple chapters of it and it seemed good. It's about a series of killings of prostitutes in the New Orleans red light district about a hundred years ago. One of the characters is Jelly Roll Morton before he became Jelly Roll Morton.

Anybody read these? Comments?

miker