RARA-AVIS: Recent read, Jim Thompson, The Rip Off

From: scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 18 Oct 2007

I've just read Jim Thompson's The Rip Off (good lord that man wrote a lot). It's the first of what you might call the non-classic Thompson's I've read but
 was enjoyable nonetheless. It has the requisite self-contained insanity of his work - what the hell is going on?!? Who are these people?!? And tells the tale of easy-going loser Britt Rainstarr's persecution after meeting a hell of a swell good looking babe. It's billed on the blurb as something of a comedy and Rainstarr is at times laughable (infuriating at times too). Interestingly, he's a Native American in the current parlance. Rollicking would be the ideal description I think, nice ending and, yes, that real Thompson feeling of heightened unreality and paranoia. In deferrence to the recent length debate I can report it's about 200 pages with bugger all padding. New Thompson readers should certainly not start here but fans will enjoy it I think.
  Cheers,
  Colin
  Join my Church: www.myspace.com/thereverendspadgedooley