RARA-AVIS: Re: Two Dollar Books

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 17 Oct 2007

There's a simple argument against the notion that dropping the price equals increased readership, and that is THE LIBRARY.

You can find pretty much any new book in the library and read it FOR FREE! Yet, this hasn't spawned legions of young, adoring crime fans.

I think that new fans will come in from different mediums and will have to rediscover the noir classics for themselves.

Maybe it could be the new Philip Marlowe movie with Clive Owen (that may or may not still be in development). Maybe it's a different movie, or graphic novel or video game that lures in new audiences, but it won't be the cover price of a book. A $7 paperback is less than the price of a movie ticket and about half the price of a DVD. Yet terrible movies still make millions at the cinema and on DVD.

And like I said, cost-conscious crime seekers can look in the good old library. I know that Chandler and Hammett are well-represented there on the shelves.

--Chan