RARA-AVIS: Re: Short and cheap

From: hardcasecrime ( editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 16 Oct 2007

> I saw a copy of the Murdaland digest in Borders...
> How long has it been around? How often
> does it come out?

I almost mentioned Murdaland in my original post, but didn't want to make anyone feel bad, least of all people I respect and whose work I enjoy. The answer to your questions is that I think the issue in stores now is #2 and it's supposed to come out twice a year, though I remember issue #1 coming out about a year ago. I remember liking the contents of issue #1 (especially the reprinted Goodis story) and I imagine I'll like #2, but...I'm not betting on their being around for issue #100.

This is not a slur or a slight -- I wouldn't bet on Hard Case Crime being around for book #100 either (we're only on #37 now). It's just the reality of these things. We'll keep going as long as we can (or till I get exhausted, whichever comes first) and I imagine Murdaland will, too, but look at New Mystery (which someone else mentioned last night), look at the short-lived revival of Argosy (looked gorgeous, lasted 4 issues), look at the revival of Argosy before that (ditto), look at Mary Higgins Clark Mystery Magazine, look at The New Black Mask, look at Bullet, look at Pulphouse...all well-intended, all gone. Makes it all the more remarkable that EQMM and AHMM are still chugging along, surviving despite all.

--Charles