RARA-AVIS: Teaching Writing in Prison

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 15 Oct 2007

When I was teaching at Alvin Community College, we had a prison program that offered lots of classes in the various prison units in the area. I taught at a couple of the units and visited all of them at one time or another. I didn't teach writing, exactly, though I did teach remedial English several times. I still remember a couple of great examples from writing exercises, like "Bill have him a coat, but I be cold" and "The dentist told me to bush my tooths." I also taught literature classes and had some really good students. Unlike the ones on campus, they always read the assignments, not having too much else to do, and they loved to talk about what they'd read.

bill crider macavityabc@gmail.com www.billcrider.com