RARA-AVIS: Re: Doubles

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 15 Oct 2007

Belmont did a few doubles in the 1960s of both mysteries and science fiction. One I recall was a 1967 pairing of Harlan Ellison's DOOMSMAN with Lee Hoffman's TELEPOWER. I've heard reports that now and then at convention autograph sessions would hand the volume to Ellison only to have him tear it apart and throw away his half while offering praise for Hoffman's story.

There was another SF double pairing Lin Carter with Frank Belknap Long. Somewhere around here I have a mystery pair by Day Keene that I am reasonably certain was a Belmont. I have a nagging minority thought that it may have been from Macfadden.

The Belmonts did not have two covers on reverse sides as did Ace. They had a split cover with two illustrations one on top of the other. Now that I think of it, Robert Bloch also had a Belmont double.

Back in the early days of paperback reprints, the digest format (as in digest-sized magazines) competed with the pocketbook format. Some of the digest publishers did splits with two authors sharing a volume.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"
<juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

> Apart from Ace Doubles, at least the porn publisher Midwood did
Doubles.