Re: RARA-AVIS: Tough Luck

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Oct 2007

--- vhend1234@aol.com wrote:

> Tough Luck was my least favorite of Starr's books. I
> started with Nothing
> Personal, which has remained my favorite, but I
> think his complexity of
> character has deepened with Lights Out and The
> Follower.

While I haven't yet read Nothing Personal and I agree about Starr's development, books hit readers in different ways. Is Lights Out a better written and structured book? No doubt. But Tough Luck worked for me because I know those guys and those streets and Starr did a really good job of bringing them to life. The other thing I really appreciated in Touch Luck was that Mickey was allowed his doom with a smile and a nod rather than a knife or going out a window. Yes, Starr worked that with Lights Out but not in the same way for me. Obviously I'm a big fan of his now and I'm not deriding his other work at all. Tough Luck just hit me in a real way.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC