Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Books by the pound

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 15 Oct 2007

Some of those great old books are a lot longer than you think, Patrick. Small print can be misleading. I remember being amazed to discover that James McKimmey's SQUEEZE PLAY turned in at 65,000 words.

Also, I wouldn't extrapolate too much from rejection slips. Each one is a (sometimes) creative way of saying: 'we aren't confident we can sell this'. That's all. Usually. In any case, short books sell all the time. Tim Krabbe, Guillermo Arriaga, Ken Bruen, Daniel Woodrell, James Sallis, Dan Rhodes, Duane Swierczynski, to name but a few. Megan Abbott's QUEENPIN is only 40,000 words. I doubt Sara Gran's COME CLOSER is that long. Novels are as short (or as long) as they need to be. Jonathan Smith's THE WOLF is currently selling for significant figures all over the globe -- and according to The Bookseller, it's a mere 35,000 words.

A short book to look out for: Tom Piccirilli's THE FEVER KILL, out in December. A modern Gold Medal. If I wasn't already blown away by Piccirilli, this one would do the trick.

While I'm at it, let me recommend Craig McDonald's debut, HEAD GAMES, written from the point of view of a 50's pulpster. It's out now and it's one hell of a ride.

Al