Re: RARA-AVIS: Tough Luck

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

> I think a lot of people have a hard time connecting with Starr's
> protagonists because they tend to be jerks of the highest order. His
stories
> are often like watching a train wreck. I'm not entirely sure it would be
> normal to feel too much for them. They tend to bring their fates on
> themselves.

I'm not sure that the protagonists are jerks of such a high order compared to your ordinary contemporary person. You don't always see your ordinary person neighbor, friend or coworker acting to the maximum of their jerkiness, but that doesn't mean they're not capable. What is true is that Starr narrates coldly, with a certain distance, and this is for me a great virtue. You could tell the same story at a much higher temperature but then you would go into Thompson territory
(which has its dangers).

And surely one would not expect sympathetic protagonists in a compact, pure noir novel, which is what Starr writes.

Best,

mrt