RARA-AVIS: Re: Short and cheap

From: hardcasecrime ( editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2007

> I think I've seen you mention before,
> Charles, that one or both of your Aleas
> entries is in development for a movie
> adaptation? Any other Hard Case
> originals in line for similar treatment?

Yes -- the first of the Aleas novels, LITTLE GIRL LOST, is in development as a feature...but there's an enormous gulf between "in development" and "in theaters near you," so who knows whether it'll ever wind up getting made. As for other Hard Case titles, I believe Jason and Ken have optioned BUST; SAY IT WITH BULLETS is at the screenplay stage; I believe THE LAST QUARRY is being filmed as we speak (albeit at a pretty low budget); and DEADLY BELOVED has been optioned to become a TV movie on the Oxygen Network. THE GUTTER AND THE GRAVE has also been optioned, and THE COLORADO KID has a chance of being the basis for a network TV series. Meanwhile I talk with one producer or another about one of our books or another at least once a week.

All of which is great -- but until the first of these projects actually hits a screen, large or small, I won't really believe it's happening.

Would it give sales of our books a boost if one of these films got made? Maybe in a very small way; it would probably briefly boost the sales of that particular title, if the movie were a success, and maybe some people who bought that book would enjoy it enough that they'd be impelled to hunt down others in the series. But I wouldn't bet on a major, lasting, or series-wide effect.

Now, if we could get a TV series on the air called "Hard Case Crime," I do expect that would have a major impact on our sales -- when "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" was revived on NBC, sales of Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine hit an all-time peak that was more than 5 times what their sales are now. But getting such a series on the air is not an easy thing to accomplish. (That doesn't stop me from trying, though...)

> Anyway, I sure appreciate what you're doing.
> I've reviewed a few HC's on my blog, with more
> to come, and make a point of spreading my
> purchases around to different retailers, in
> the hopes that they'll all continue to carry
> them.

And I sure appreciate what you're doing! You're really going above and beyond the call to help us out, and that means a lot to me, and I thank you for it.

That said, I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad for us -- we're doing fine. Not rolling in dough, but surviving, and these days that counts as success. I just wanted to explain, to the best of my ability, why $2 paperbacks are unlikely ever to come back again.

--Charles