RARA-AVIS: Chester Himes question

From: logan keith (keith) ( keith@globetrotter.net)
Date: 14 Oct 2007

I just finished reading FOR THE LOVE OF IMABELLE (aka A RAGE IN HARLEM). I loved it. It is basically my first Himes. I have read that when living in France he did his writing in French. Is this true? There is no translator credited in the English version I have; did Himes then translate these books himself for English-language publication?

I am quite curious about this, and research on the net has brought contradictory info. Does anyone here know what's what?

Much obliged, Keith