RARA-AVIS: Novellas, Block Months

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 13 Oct 2007

Jack Bludis wrote:

"It might not be a bad idea for publishers to do three novellas or two short novels in a single volume. But they're probably unwilling to try that too."

I'm just back from a couple of charity sales and picked up a copy of Transgressions a PB edited by Ed McBain that was published in 2006. Priced at $7.99, $10.99 Canadian. It has the novellas Merely Hate by McBain, Walking The Line by Walter Mosley and Walking Around Money by Donald Westlake. The three novellas along with others published in PB volumes were previously published in a single-volume hardcover edition in 2005.

Also picked up Westlake's The Curious Facts Preceding My Execution and Other Fictions and Lawrence Block's Me Tanner, You Jane. I left several Blocks there, but maybe I should go back and pick them up at 5 for $1.00 now that I arrived home to discover Nov. & Dec. are Block months.

Kent Morgan