Re: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 1666

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2007

I don't know how Ace paperbacks sold, but Hard Case is bringing back their concept next year with a Robert Bloch double. Both titles, Spiderweb and Shooting Star, which were both published by ACE, although, I don't think they were in the same volume. Stark House has also done some doubles of Gil Brewer, Harry Whittington and Day Keene. The Stark House ones are larger format and run $20 each however.

And, as a footnote, ACE earned its place in literary history by being the first publisher William S. Burroughs ever had. They published Junkie under the pseudonym William Lee in 1953. Allan Ginsberg acted as Burroughs' agent.

In my opinion Hard Case's $6 paperbacks are the new $2 paperbacks, and Dorchester, which distributes Hard Case does a lot of paperbacks in similar price in other genres, although none of them are branded as well as HC. So relatively cheap paperbacks are still around.