Re: RARA-AVIS: Nov-Dec 2007 are Block Months

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Burridge"
<stephen.burridge@...> wrote:

> I was just in my local Chapters here in Ottawa; in the mystery section I
> counted over 20 titles by Block, including 6 or 8 Evan Tanner
novels. By
> contrast there were 3 Westlakes and 1 Richard Stark. I don't
suppose this
> means anything except that at the moment it's easy to get hold of Block
> books.

I think more of Westlake's work tends to be out of print at any given time. The Dortmunder series seems to be always in print, but the Parkers were out of print for a long time, as was much of his earlier work. I think in recent times there has been a lot of interest in Block, probably spearheaded by his very successful Scudder and Burglar series. It's nice to know that the Tanner series is in print... that's very good stuff. His style in those reminds me a bit of Aarons, a now obscure but still worthy Gold Medal author.

Best,

mrt