RARA-AVIS: Whatever happened to rye?

From: Vince Keenan ( vpkeenan@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Oct 2007

Because I know what completists my fellow Rara Avians are …

I'm in New York and was enjoying some rye whiskey drinks at one of the city's finer bars this evening. The bartender introduced me to several more rye cocktails named after Brooklyn neighborhoods - the Bushwick, the Bensonhurst, the (Park) Slope. He told me it's become something of a tradition for bartenders to name rye drinks after 'hoods in the borough of Kings, in part because they're all seen as descendants of a drink called the Brooklyn. For the record, that's rye, dry vermouth, Amer Picon, and maraschino liqueur. It's also excellent.

http://www.VinceKeenan.com Pop culture, past and present, high and low. One day at a time.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. http://travel.yahoo.com/