RARA-AVIS: Re: Sex novels

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"
<juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be enough that writing these books helped them just to keep
> alive? If there hadn't been a market for these, Westlake and Block and
> certainly some others just might not have become the authors they
are now.

And it's not so strange, since those books were popular fiction, just like the hardboiled Gold Medals. Not strange that Block, Westlake and others branched out into something that they could write. Why would they not sell their pen to a market? That would be like saying that a violinist should only play classical music, and not do parties and such... A worker has to look for work, in this case, for a place to sell his work. What I see here is a microversion of the obnoxious dichotomy between literature and popular fiction: it's all literature.

By the way, much later than the early sixties Block published a miniseries about a youngster who desperately wanted to get laid... I forget the name of the protagonist, but the novels were reprinted not that long ago.

The real productive pulpsters would sell to any magazine that would pay: mystery, aviation, western, spicy, romance, etc. That's what I call a savvy and productive attitude.

Best,

mrt