RARA-AVIS: Sex novels

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 12 Oct 2007

Wouldn't it be enough that writing these books helped them just to keep alive? If there hadn't been a market for these, Westlake and Block and certainly some others just might not have become the authors they are now.
(And there's no learning ground for these writers anymore, certainly not one that pays. You have to become a bestseller with your first novel.)

Curt mentioned that he has a reader's interest in the sex novels. Same here. I've read some (sadly not anything by Westlake and Block) and they are genuinely interesting. As Curt, Bill Crider and James Reasoner have proved on their blogs, these books can be well-written and entertaining - and certainly close to noir and hardboiled crime.

I don't my have notes on the sleaze books I've read handy, but I'll post about them later on.

Juri

PS. Lee Server has also written some porn paperbacks. In one, he said in an interview, he took the plot out of HEART OF DARKNESS. I've seen a list somewhere.

PS2. Jess, maybe Server needed the money. I take it that the book wasn't his own idea in the first place.