Re: RARA-AVIS: British "Neo-Noir"?

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2007

Mark D. Nevins wrote:

> A few years ago I picked up David Huggins's THE BIG KISS--I've not yet
> read it, but it looks like it might be a decent "neo-noir" (I'm not
> getting into that terminology debate here).
>
> Below is a description from GoogleBooks, including a quote from Will
> Self, a peer of Barnes and Amis (as I try to retro-actively bring a
>
> If anyone has an opinion, let me know if I should move THE BIG KISS
> higher up in my towering "to read" stack.

I too was suckered in by the Chester Himes comparison - one can only assume that Will Self had never actually read Himes as The Big Kiss is, in fact, a very boring Brit answer to Jay MacInerney et al. Avoid Night Train as well - apart from being a tedious, snobbish hardboiled pastiche, it also sports the most irritating ending of any book I've read.

John