RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Nobel?

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"
<juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

> I notice the Nobel prize went to Doris Lessing. Who do you think is the
> Nobel prize winner who comes closest to hardboiled? Faulkner, perhaps.

Faulkner more than Hemingway, I would say. The latter shows a sentimental side, whereas Faulkner is tough as nails. Of the rumored candidates this year, Cormac McCarthy would be 100% hardboiled, but he didn't win. Another candidate, Australian poet Les Murray, would also fit the bill, I think. The problem is that novelists who write in the
"genres" are not usually considered, even though they take up a large majority of the readership. For example, it's a shame that Dick or Bradbury didn't win the Nobel. No objective reason could be given for such ommissions. If Chandler (our best guy, probably) had lived longer... he still wouldn't have been considered.

The idea that, say, an Elmore Leonard or James Ellroy novel is "less serious" than a Lessing or a Roth or an Updike novel strikes me as ludicrous. What's not serious about them?

Best,

mrt