Re: RARA-AVIS:whatever happened to rye

From: jacquet@optonline.net
Date: 11 Oct 2007

Long time lurker and quite infrequent poster here. I am a noir/hard-boiled aficionado by choice, a filmmaker and painter by trade, splitting my time between France and the US. This anecdotical thread on rye made me dig up a 1999 S鲩e Noire book entitled "Le livre de cuisine de la S鲩e Noire" featuring 150 recipes from various S鲩e Noire published crime novels, with such luminaries as R. Chandler, Bill Pronzini, Ed McBain, Westlake, Robert B. Parker, Block, Leonard... On the left page is the quote from the novel, and on the right page is the cooking recipe. Great fun. One should go ahead and do the same with cocktails. I see one shortcoming: the last recipe is based on a page from Donald E. Westlake's "Le ciel t'aidera" (Heaven will help?), where one character messes with a cappuccino; on the adjacent page are recipes for Cappuccino, Caf頮oisette, Caf頡u lait, Caf頖iennois and Irish coffe. But no mention of caf頮oir... jean-pierre jacquet