Re: RARA-AVIS: Best Contemporary Crime Writers also South African writers

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

> stevefinbow wrote:
>
> Can anyone give me their opinions as to who are the best (young) crime
> writers publishing in the UK and USA?>

I didn't answer this earlier, because none of my favorites are particularly youg, but figured I'd chime in regarless:

My list doesn't deviate much from the usual suspects we discuss around here: George Pelecanos, Lawrence Block, Michael Connelly, Walter Mosley, James Sallis, Ken Bruen, Joseph Wambaugh, James Ellroy, Richard Price. I'm sure I'm forgetting many, but those are the guys I usually seek out in hardback.

He's a regular on this list, so I always feel like a suck up when I make my fan mail public, but John William's Cardiff Dead belongs right up there in the Pantheon of Contemporary Favorites. Highly recommended.

Just don't read it if you're not ready to tackle the other two books in the trilogy as well.