RARA-AVIS: Re: Insightful Criticism

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

> --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Nevins" <nevins_mark@>
> wrote:
>
> <<P.S. Has anyone read Julian Barnes's pal Martin Amis's "hardboiled"
> novel NIGHT TRAIN? I tend to be mixed on Amis, but have not yet tried
> that one.>>

I read it and enjoyed it greatly.

I was 20 at the time and was not yet a part of this list. Back then I didn't specifically seek out harboiled and noir fiction, I just went home with whatever looked interesting in the New Books section of the local library, which led me to Thomas Cook, Connelly, Block, Ellroy, Lehane and Pelecanos. Night Train fit just fine with the rest of the books I was enjoying at the time.