RARA-AVIS: Re: Suggestions for monthly topics requested

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <dz@...> wrote:

> Mr T: your thoughts on Rex Stout? To me, the way he blended hardboiled
> with classic English Mystery in his Nero Wolfe books was masterful, and
> stylistically pitch perfect.

I haven't read him for a long time, though I did devour his novels at one point. I would agree with you, but from the distance imposed by memory. If you're going to include Stout, I don't see how you can avoid Erle Stanley Gardner (especially writing as A.A. Fair). Smooth as hell.

> Another point about Block--I suspect that his hitman stories are a riff
> on the Continental Op. Btw. I can't argue too much about either Leonard
> and Willeford--their writing is direct, highly readable, but in my
> opinion doesn't have that smooth, almost magical flow that Block's
> writing has, but then again, few writers do.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Mastery. Le Carré ¨as the same kind of mastery, albeit in quite a different genre. As told, the guy crossing the street seems as interesting as the guy getting killed... When that happens, what I suspect is very careful planning and lots of rewriting-- like Hitchcock in his films.

Best,

mrt