RARA-AVIS: Re: Suggestions for monthly topics requested

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <dz@...> wrote:

> Tapani: I couldn't agree more about Lawrence Block. His prose is one
> of the cleanest and smoothest around. His plots almost don't matter
> his prose is so good. Interestingly, though, in one of his early
> books republished by Hardcase, Lucky at Cards, his writing was
> actually a bit ragged, showing how much he had grown as a writer from
> that book to Scudder.
>
> As good as Block's prose is, I don't think anyone in the mystery
> space matches Rex Stout as far as pure writing goes.

To mention just a few, Willeford, Gores, Westlake, Leonard and Connelly do, I think. Though pure writing is never pure... it needs to match what's being told, especially in the genres which are of interest to us. I do love how Block moves a story along, unobtrusively but always with the right accentuation. But if Block wanted to write Chester Himes's or K.C. Constantine's stories, he would have to adapt his singing style to the music, so to speak. Another phenomenal stylist is Fredric Brown, not mentioned often enough of late.

Best,

mrt