RARA-AVIS: Re: Suggestions for monthly topics requested

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

Tapani: I couldn't agree more about Lawrence Block. His prose is one of the cleanest and smoothest around. His plots almost don't matter his prose is so good. Interestingly, though, in one of his early books republished by Hardcase, Lucky at Cards, his writing was actually a bit ragged, showing how much he had grown as a writer from that book to Scudder.

As good as Block's prose is, I don't think anyone in the mystery space matches Rex Stout as far as pure writing goes.

--Dave Zeltserman