Re: RARA-AVIS: Best Contemporary Crime Writers also South African writers

From: kerkhoc ( Claus_Kerkhoff@web.de)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

Please allow me to recommend Deon Meyer as a contemporary crime witer of South Africa. I have read "Dead Bedore Dying (1999)", "Dead at Daybreak (2000)" and "Heart of the Hunter (2003)." I enjoyed all of them.

Not a contemporary writer but a great crime writer is James McClure. He wrote police procedurals in Apartheid-era South Africa with white Lieutenant Tromp Kramer and his black partner Sergeant Mickey Zondi. In my opinion, they're all excellent.

Claus