Re: RARA-AVIS: Best Contemporary Crime Writers also South African writers

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

stevefinbow wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinions as to who are the best (young) crime writers publishing in the UK and USA?

I'm not even going to try to be impartial here. I'm just going to list some people I've been lucky enough to publish over the last few years. In the UK I'd like to commend David Peace (who's finally getting a proper publication in the US now with Tokyo: Year Zero, which is great, though I'd recommend starting with the Red Riding Quartet). Also Charlie Williams, whose wonderful Mangel Trilogy manages to channel Jim Thompson and Magnus Mills at the same time. Also Robert Lewis whose upcoming Swansea Terminal is the best PI novel I've read in an age. As for the US, the two upcoming novels we have from Dave Zeltserman are as good as modern noir gets. On an US/Irish tip there's Adrian McKinty, whose new one, The Bloomsday Dead, is a very fine all-action shoot-em-up. And on the margins of rara-avis territory there's Cathi Unsworth's The Singer, a punk rock noir.

stevefinbow also wrote

And does anyone know of any decent contemporary South African crime writers (I'm in Johannesburg for a month and would like to check out the scene - I already know Phaswane Mpe, Kgebetli Moele, and have read Norman Ohler's Ponte City).

The short answer to this is no, but I'd certainly like to know something about the writers you mention.

John

__._,_._