Re: RARA-AVIS: Great Writers

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2007

  Mark N wrote: I'd offer up Julian Barnes as one of the greatest living prose stylists. I've not (yet) read his 'Patrick Cavanaugh' crime books--any opinions?"

Mark S wrote

That'd be Dan Kavanagh. I read the first, Duffy, a long, long time ago.I remember little about it except that I liked it enough to get thenext, Fiddle City. I've since picked up two more in he series. Keep meaning to get back to him, reread the first and follow through.

As I recall the first, Duffy, is pretty good: featuring a 1970s bisexual PI, ahead of the curve. The second, Fiddle City, set in Heathrow airport, was OK, the third one, set in the world of soccer, was indifferent, and the fourth and final one was a godawful country house mystery.

John
__._,