RARA-AVIS: re: Spade falling in love

From: logan keith (keith) ( keith@globetrotter.net)
Date: 09 Oct 2007

Patrick wrote:
>Keith, if you're right about this, how long do you
>think Spade would live if Brigid went free and Willmer
>went down for all the murders? Brigid killed every man
>we know about who was even vaguly attached to her
>romantically.

So what? Men have, throughout history, disregarded such facts and fallen for the girl. I think Spade is definitely aware of what he would be getting himself into with Brigid, painfully aware, and on top of that he admits to not even knowing what love really is. Nonetheless I believe that Hammett intended to show that Spade would have willingly taken this route if he didn't need a fall guy.

I cannot prove this, and neither can you prove your assertion, so let's just agree to disagree. I have no problem with different takes on a work of art. It's all about interpretation anyway. I'm just glad this discussion prompted me to reread this great novel.

Keith