Re: RARA-AVIS: Sam Spade's wrap-up

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2007

Bogart reads the "because all of me wants to" moment passionately, but that would be the way Brigid wants to hear it. He's still playing her, making an auditory concession. When he tells her if they let her out in 25 years he'll be waiting, he's absolutely kidding her. In 25 years they'll both be over 60. Astor, for her part, plays it beautifully. She doesn't beleive he's not going to pull her out of it until the elevator screen closes on her, and she tell us this just with her eyes. Mary Astor was a sadly underused actress due mostly to the public nature of her love affairs. That last speech is one of the great moments in film.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. http://travel.yahoo.com/