Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Cain and Hammett

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2007

My comment here about "most evil" refers to forensic psychologist Dr. Michael Stone of Columbia University and his 22 level scale which measures a criminal's mind and his crime. For purposes of the justice system, this scale is used to determine the likelyhood of rehabilitation. It measures motive, method, and malice on the part of each criminal. A man who kills his wife in a rage is, according to Dr. Stone, very different from one who kills randomly and repeatedly using methods of torture. I have to say I agree with this distinction. Wouldn't you? The Biography Channel has been running a series of programs entitled Most Evil. They hightlight several crimes and measure them on Dr. Stone's scale to show how and why the criminal probably committed the acts and determine how society may best react to this type of criminal. Today, the term 'evil' does not relate so much to superstition as it does to human intent. Denis Rader, The BTK Killer, is certainly a psychopath, but his psychosis was not the hope of gaining a 14th Century icon and making a fortune selling it on ebay. He enjoys torturing families and killing them all slowly. These were people he'd never met before. Being crazy doesn't excuse this; do you think?

My original post took it for granted that everyone on this list was watching that program or was otherwise familiar with this modern method of assessing criminal behavior. Of course one can simply enjoy crime fiction without researching crimes and crime prevention. My own obessession. Sorry.

Patrick King
--- Robert Elkin < rictusaporia@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If both Wilmer & Brigid are "psychopaths," also
> calling them "evil" makes for a confusing mixture of
> scientific & religious narrative styles. Which is
> it?

0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
> margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
> -->
>

> <!--
>
> #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
> helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
> #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
> helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
> #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
> #ygrp-text{
> font-family:Georgia;
> }
> #ygrp-text p{
> margin:0 0 1em 0;}
> #ygrp-tpmsgs{
> font-family:Arial;
> clear:both;}
> #ygrp-vitnav{

> #ygrp-vitnav a{
> padding:0 1px;}
> #ygrp-actbar{
> clear:both;margin:25px
> 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
> #ygrp-actbar .left{
> float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
> .bld{font-weight:bold;}
> #ygrp-grft{
> #ygrp-ft{
> font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
> solid #666;
> padding:5px 0;
> }
> #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
> padding-bottom:10px;}

=== message truncated ===

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7