RARA-AVIS: Re: Suggestions for monthly topics requested

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:

> Serie Noire didn't start publishing until 1945 and all
> of their offerings were reprints. Woolrich's Manhattan
> Love Song was published in 1932 almost a dozen years
> previous. I'm not trying to be difficult here, just
> curious since I have no idea when the form began in
> print but it would almost have to be just around the
> beginnings of the depression.

Also, the search for noir shouldn't limit itself to the mystery and crime pulps. For example, there were lots of noirish stories in the fantasy and weird tales pulps, with notable authors like Donald Wandrei, Theodore Sturgeon, Fritz Leiber, etc. Woolrich brings some of that to the crime and mystery story, but the stuff was in the air. I am sure the experts on western pulps can find noir examples in that genre as well.

Best,

mrt