Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Westlake

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 08 Oct 2007

Me; "Other names he's published under (leaving out the ones for the soft porn books, Edwin West, Allan Marshall, etc)" Curt: "Why leaving those out? Some of those sleaze pbs can get awfully rough and hardboiled or noirish.'"

I set those aside for two reasons, because some of those names were house names and I'm not an expert on which specific titles were by Westlake (though a very interesting article on just that was recently mentioned here, a link can be found in the archives), or which ones are hardboiled/noir.

"When I started reading them, I was amazed at how downbeat and violent they could be. Some of them would fit in very nicely among other titles discussed here!"

Indeed, Hard Case Crime recently reprinted one of these by Lawrence Block, Lucky at Cards, which was originally The Sex Shuffle by Sheldon Lord.

So which sleaze pbs do you recommend?

Mark