RARA-AVIS: Re: Willeford as god of noir

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> There's a lot that is way into politically incorrect,
> so prepare to be offended if you come from that side
> of the street. My impression of him from these two
> books is that he was genuinely hardboiled.

Yes, and like the original author that he is, he says surprising things even while discussing very ordinary topics. I find his writing intrinsically interesting no matter what he is writing about: cockfighting, the troubles of poor Hoke Mosely, hemorrhoids or a pet turtle he had as a kid. His tone is simultaneously literary and conversational, strangely magnetic.

Best,

mrt