Re: RARA-AVIS: Willeford as god of noir

From: Don Lee ( donthepoet@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2007

I thought COCKFIGHTER (which I read about 3 weeks ago) was really really good. However, it struck me only after I had finished it to wonder, why is this noir? I mean, it is and it isn't, maybe. So that might be why it's neo-noir. I also read someplace subsequently that it was based on The Odyssey.

I will follow up on that recommendation of BROTHER SPRINGER. Also want to get HIGH PRIEST OF CALIFORNIA, his book of essays, and that one novel that was too grim for anybody to publish. Titled...(googling): THE SHARK-INFESTED CUSTARD.

thanks, Don