Re: RARA-AVIS: willie noir

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Michael Robison
<miker_zspider@...> wrote:

> Mario wrote about the willie principle:
>
> But I do agree that many noir writers have not made
> much or any use of the Principle. Among
> contemporaries, neither Ellroy nor Starr have used it,
> that I remember.

> I disagree. I see The Black Dahlia as way into the
> willie principle.

I don't see it as the driving force, though this book is so rich that I have trouble reconstructing it in my mind. I would have to reread it in order to give a fresh opinion. In any case, are you referring to the protagonist's obsession with the Dahlia or to his falling for the girl and getting into trouble? My main recollection is of an utterly corrupt L.A., including the cops. In my mind, that image is much stronger than the Dahlia case.

Best,

Mario