RARA-AVIS: Sam Spade's wrap-up

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2007

Patrick King said:

>>I think you're missing the whole point here. Spade was
always playing Brigid. He was never in love with her. He knew by the time he put her and Joel together, that it was she who killed Miles AND Thrusby. That whole speech at the end is said sarcastically as Bogart does it. "I hope they don't hang you by that pretty neck"
"I'll be waiting for you." He's kidding her and it dawns on her, as Mary Astor shows, that it's she who's been played this time. Bridgid is a sociopath, just as crazy as the rest of them; maybe a little worse. And Sam Spade is under no illusion. He knew she was lying when she first came into his office but she overpaid him enough so it didn't matter.<<

By Jove, I think he's got it.

Take that and the fact that Spade knew or suspected from the the beginning that she killed Miles, and it all makes sense.

One point of disagreement, though. I don't think Bogart delivers that speech sarcastically, I think he delivers it rapidly because if it were slower, it would be a tedious wrap-up. I do think he was putting her on though.

Jack

http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JackBludis http://jackbludis.com/ Recent Story at http://backalleywebzine.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC