RARA-AVIS: The Killer

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 06 Oct 2007

About a week ago I queried the list about a newly released graphic novel called The Killer, translated from French. No one replied, so I guess no one read it, but I finally broke down and bought the last copy from my local comic book shop. It's by a writer who calls himself Matz, and the artist is one Luc Jacamon. The story itself is not anything terribly original. It's about a hitman who suddenly finds himself having a hard time dealing with the isolation that is a necessary part of his job. He wants out, but finds its not going to be that simple. Still despite the fact that it's not terribly original, it wasn't bad. The main character is well drawn, in the literary sense, I mean, even though the art's pretty good too. I like the use of color, particularly. It's not an earth shattering, must-read, but I'd recommend it for fans of Ed Brubaker's Criminal series. The Killer is similar in that it's not too cartoony, and draws more on fiction than comics for its influences. I guess the bottom line is I liked it enough that I'll be picking up the second volume whenever it comes out.