Re: RARA-AVIS: The Conversation

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 04 Oct 2007

-----Original Message-----

I'm not sure what it is you think I believe. But I'm glad you don't care. (About whatever it is that it may be.)

>But don't try and twist what I said to fit whatever point
>you didn't articulate very well.
>
>William

I'm not twisting anything. Just continuing to read your various posts and looking for some consistency. And I have no idea what point you are talking about that I didn't articulate very well. (It could be any of them!) If you are going to be insulting it would be nice if you were specific in your insults so we know what you are talking about.

I suppose I should have been more specific yesterday in my complaint that "dead, in jail, or insane" seems too limited as a qualification for the protagonists' fate at the end of a story to qualify it as noir. I think there are probably as many noir stories (and certainly films) that end with the protagonist paying a severe price through the loss of a loved one or someone he hoped to protect or some other psychological price (far short of insanity) as there are stories that end with the aforementioned "big three." Much of Thompson would fit here. Goodis, Woolrich. Willeford. Ellroy. Most films noir of the forties and fifties. Chinatown. Night Moves. Blow Up. Blow Out. And yes, even THE CONVERSATION. I basically agree with your post on THE CONVERSATION. I just wanted to point out that the "big three" don't always apply to the climax or a noir or neo-noir or post-noir or whatever hair needs to be split.

Didn't mean to get you riled up again. But it doesn't seem to take much.