Re: RARA-AVIS: Cain and Hammett

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:

> Of course it doesn't fit. How could it especially when
> you throw Kafka and Body Heat into the equation? And
> for my money, "Pretty Poison" is classic noir where
> "Body Heat" is a false homage. But that's just me.

How is Body Heat a "false homage"? And how is Franz Kafka off-topic when his characters get into the most noirish labyrinths imaginable? You can't argue a theory by leaving out or waving away the exceptions. A noir novel or film can have a very ordinary and sober protagonist who is simply drawn into something nightmarish he can't escape. It can also have a protagonist who is a monster, or anything in between the unwitting guy and the monster. Therefore, the degree of "screwedness" of the protagonist cannot be a determinant factor for calling a work of art "noir".

Best,

mrt