Re: RARA-AVIS: Cain and Hammett

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 03 Oct 2007

Screwed or hero are the only two options? I do not see Spade as screwed in the noir sense (just everyday, time will heal screwed). However, I do not see him as a hero either. I see him as a professional, which I see as a separate category (which can overlap the other two). By your definition of hero (solves the problem), a janitor who mops up a spill is a hero as he "solved a problem." Spade solves his case. This is his job. In fact, he ends up exactly where he started, cowering in his office trying to avoid Archer's wife. In fact, he's worse off (but again, not noir screwed), because she's now single and sure to want more from him than he wants to give.

Mark